Now, there are more than 1.6 billion social network users worldwide. It is a virtual space where users tend to spend their time and communicate with their friends and families. All this creates a delicious mixture for hackers!
The more you spend time on social networks, the more is the chance of you to click links which hackers use to trick you.
Well known types of cyber attacks targeting social media accounts:
- Like-jacking: tricking users of a website into “liking” a Facebook page that they did not intentionally mean to “like” and with that they download malware.
- Link-jacking: practice used to redirect one website’s links to another malware infected websites.
- Phishing: acquiring sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and sometimes, indirectly, money), by disguising itself as a trustworthy entity in a Facebook message or Tweet.
- Social spam: unwanted spam appearing on sites with user-generated content (comments, chat, etc.).
The reason why hackers tend to target social media accounts because people trust their circles of online friends and they will click any of the link they receive from them. This is the reason why 1 out of 10 social media accounts have been attacked in some way.
Probably, now you are using many different social media accounts. Here are couple of advises:
- Don’t click any links that look weird to you
- Learn more about cyber attacks on social media
- Install Zemana AntiMalware or Zemana Mobile Security for Android protection and stay worry-free.
Source: Heimdal Security